Sunday, June 6

The power of prayer and transformation

Tonight Pastor Jackson and Eve Senyonga came to our church to tell a wondrous story of transformation and revival in Uganda, but it started with a dark time. Uganda in the late 70s and early 80s was a time of lawlessness, persecution, and darkness. It got to the point where death was a daily experience, and there was very little hope in the communities. Christians were persecuted (and died), and Idi Amin sought to establish the Islam as the official national faith. But through desperation, persistence, unity and intentionality; Christians reconnected with God and brought his presence back to Uganda.

He talked about how they put together the elements of prayer without deep theological understanding, just working on examples given in the bible.

For example in Judges 10:6-16 the Israelites did evil and were exiled off to the Philistines and the Ammonites. They prayed to God for deliverance but he had heard that story before and told them to forget it. (he was really pissed off) But they wouldn't give up. They cried,

"We have sinned. Do with us whatever you think best, but please rescue us now."
And finally he listened and rescued them again.

Jackson pulls five key points out of this example, which is used by his church and their prayer warriors:

  • repentance
  • intention/specificity
  • unity
  • sustained
  • desperation
We are all sinners, though we like to think of ourselves as more highly evolved. Personally, I like to look back on my life and give myself a pat on the back at how much better I am than I used to be. This gives me an excuse to not look forward to how much further I have to go. Is God really happy with my life? Or has he given up in disgust and left me to try and get by on my own in the world? Hopefully not the later, but probably not the former either. I feel God's presence in my life, but he's probably shaking his head in disbelief as I fall into the same traps over and over again. I have many things to work on in my life still.

One major item is that I keep trying to superimpose my will on God's. His agenda is most likely far different than mine. I have to learn to give over my life and my holdings to him, and let him do what he would with them. I get very afraid when I think about the possibility of giving up my house, or other things I have for God. This is probably why Jesus told the rich young man to sell his possessions and follow him,

Matthew 19:23-26 Then Jesus said to his disciples, " I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
Jackson thought our national day of prayer was pretty funny as well. He described it as a hit and run intercession. For one day we get together and smite the devil, then we run away (back to our normal hum drum lives). Gee, one day we ask for help fighting the darkness, and the other 364 days we don't? Sounds pretty ridiculous when you put it like that.

From web searches it seems that Jackson and Eve have been sharing their message around the country for a number of years. From Florida to Seattle they have been telling people about how they participated in God's transformation of their country, and how God is seeking to do the same for all nations. I don't know how his message was received in other communities and how they are doing in this journey, but I haven't heard of any state or city in the United States being transformed like Uganda has. Perhaps that is why he came tonight to Flagstaff. This is a small town, but it is an important part of our state and the region. If God can use people like me and my friends, and our community churches, then perhaps we can call for a transformation of our city. And if we can do it, then maybe others will see our success and make the commitment to change their cities. But first I have to do my part, ask God back into my life, ask for forgiveness of my sins, and commit to following his agenda instead of mine.

Stay tuned in, this is going to get interesting.

[resources]
Christian Life Ministries Jackson's site, though a few years out of date.
A history of revival (Today's christian).
The Senyonga's journey in Kampala (crosswalk.com)
Notes on Prayer, a four week series Jackson taught in Cleveland.
Transformation Prayer talk given by Jackson to central Florida churches.
More extensive notes from Vision Orlando.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home