Tuesday, June 8

Searching for understanding

So I was thinking to myself that if the Holy Spirit is supposed to be so helpful in understanding the truths of the bible, then I must have either unplugged him or something else is wrong. Finally it occurred to me that when God is frustrating me, its usually because I need to learn something.
1 Corinthians 1:19-20 For it is written:
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."
Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
So today as I was reading John 15 I read:
John 15:26-27 When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me. And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.
And I wondered to myself, who is the Counselor? Was he talking about Paul? I really had no idea, but instead of remaining confused I did a quick search on the passage and was bombarded by a hundred links which all revealed the Counselor as the Holy Spirit. Ok, that was a little confusing that the Holy Spirit was referred to as a man, but as some of these devotions explain, it was partially intentional. See the Holy Spirit is more than just a spirit, being that it is one with God and part of the trinity.

These days we think of the Holy Spirit as one of a kind, which is kind of good as it is more significant than other spirits. The problem is that we tend to ignore that there are a multitude of other spirits, serving both the light and the dark. Every time I get tempted to speed up to keep someone from changing lanes in front of me or get the urge to run a yellow/orange light; that's a spirit influencing me, just not a good one. We should probably be more aware of all of these influences, but most of all the influence of the Holy Spirit, God's presence in our lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home