Tuesday, July 6

Waste not

Wendall Berry, a Catholic priest, farmer and poet once wrote:
We need a economy founded on thrift and care on saving and conserving, not on excess and waste. An economy based on waste is inherently and hopelessly violent and war is its inevitable by-product.
Most people don't see this, but I do. Waste comes from a focus on one's self, and not on the community or greater good. Waste is satisfied with an excuse and doesn't bother going looking for a solution. Waste fulfills the immediate want, not waiting to see what other need could be fulfilled. Prolonged focus on one's self is not healthy, and this competition for resources is one example.

I do my best to battle waste at home and around town, but its an uphill battle. I collect aluminum cans, foil and scrap wherever I can find it. I sort my trash into recycle, paper, and garbage. I reuse anything and save everything (which drives my wife crazy). I load the laserprinter with paper that is already printed on the back, and then after, I save the scratch paper and write notes in the margins. I avoid plastics whenever I can. I use compact fluorescent lights. All our portable devices have rechargable batteries. I work from home (also drives the wife crazy). But still I need to do more.

Basically practically all garbage could be avoided through smarter purchasing of products (avoiding non-recyclable materials), composting, and sorting of trash. I need to put up some solar panels on the garage and start producing some of my own electricity, as well as put some solar hot water panels for hot water and space heating (its July and my basement is still 66F). And I still have a number of giant CRT displays down here which suck up the power when operating.

I'd like to reach the point of self sufficiency, but even more, I'd like to help the entire community be more self sufficient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home